Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brave enough to Move Forward


by Trish

It has been said that variety is the spice of life. That’s why I thought I had it so good as a triathlete. Always something different. There was swimming, handcycling, pushing. Tons of workouts to choose from, different distances of races. It was so much fun for so long. But eventually I began to feel like I was in a rut. After nearly ten years of competing in triathlon, I found that I was ready for a new adventure. It was hard to convince myself that moving forward was the right thing to do. I’m a triathlete, I thought. How could I do something else, something new? Oftentimes, I think, to realize how you feel about different elements in your life, whether it be a job, relationship, possession or passion, you have to step away and take a breather. And that’s exactly what I have done. This year triathlon has taken a back seat and I’ve become a rower. Well, I’m not entirely ready to drop my former identity, so I’ll call myself a triathlete with a rowing habit. I love the breath of fresh air it’s given me, the new perspective and the challenge of trying something different. I’m not saying goodbye to triathlon forever. In fact, I have one on the schedule in September, but here goes something new. If it can open a new door or window in my life, or make me see something different, then let it be. Time to be brave enough to move forward and see where it takes me.



No comments:

Post a Comment